Sunday, February 14, 2016

Scream Queens initial thoughts

I recently finally started the horror comedy Scream reboot TV show Scream Queens, and woah, is it good. I expected some humor, pretty cinematography, and gore, but I was really surprised. The characters are so well written, it’s amazing. They’re quite obviously satire, but it’s so well done. I can tell exactly what type of person each character is meant to make fun of, and I know quite a few of those people in real life. It’s quite satisfying seeing such a well done parody of them. There’s also a lot of statements about classism, racism, and sexism in the show. It’s so accurate though. It’s like the writers transcribed actual conversations, but got rid of the subtleties. One scene, Chanel is talking about the party she hosts after rush week. She describes it as a white party, where you preferably wear white or be white. Another character is a self proclaimed feminist, but all she does is insult young  women and talk about how they objectify themselves. Classism is also touched on by Chanel’s obsession with keep her sorority exclusive- preserve its popularity and wealth. The cinematography is really cool, too. The shots where girl-next-door is about to enter the sorority house and sees the Red Devil are so cool. I also love the shots with the Red Devil in general. They’re very eerie and sinister, and the use of the wide angle shots add quite the drama. I’m excited for the plot as well, as it seems to be well thought out and I can’t help but suspect everyone of being the killers. What plot twists I have seen are well done and well thought out, and I can forgive the show for its at times ridiculous coincidences because it has a great sense of humor about it. I’ll probably finish this sometime in the next week, and I am super excited to see where it goes. There is going to be a second season, but hopefully there is not too much of a cliffhanger.

No comments:

Post a Comment